Friday, August 10, 2012

SLJ Virtual Trade Show

Yesterday I attended the School Library Journal Virtual Trade Show.  I was amazed at the creative way the organizers attempted to replicate the trade show experience.  I went to the auditorium to listen to an author panel about the latest dystopian fiction and another about classic novel adaptations. I also visited the Exhibit Hall to find out about the latest young adult titles offered by a variety of publishers.  While at each booth, I was greeted by name by the publisher's representative, who offered to answer my questions.  Although I much prefer to attend  trade shows in person, I was able to find out about many new exciting titles, as well as upcoming offerings in popular series.

First on my list of must reads is Froi of the Exiles, the second book in The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta.  The sequel to Finnikin of the Rock introduces Froi, who serves the Queen and Finnikin. According to the book blurb, he is part of the Guard sworn to protect the royal family.  He is sent on a secret mission to the kingdom of Charyn, where he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess.  I loved the first book, which won the Aurealis Award for fantasy, and look forward to another one of Marchetta's well-constructed plots peopled by memorable characters.

Additional series titles which are available in November include Days of Blood and Starlight. In this sequel to Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Karou must come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people.  I was able to download it through NetGalley from the trade show. In Ashen Winter, the sequel to Mike Mullin's Ash Fall, Alex and Darla continue to deal with the fallout from a volcanic eruption in Yellowstone.  Last but not least, Reached, the final book in the Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie, wraps up the story of Alex and Ky, who have found the Rising, but are torn apart once again by circumstances beyond their control. I look forward to reading these books in the near future.

The virtual trade show was a great way to get current on the new offerings in young adult literature and hear the authors' back stories. As I read new titles, which are worthy of your time, I will share them with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment